In previous articles I have mentioned some thoughts on the subject of death.
The intention of this article is to give you some basics to guide you in accompanying your animal to be euthanised.
The question is:
When I have consciously made the choice to euthanise my beloved animal, what should I expect from the vet who will perform it?
You are facing a moment of high emotional weight, the feeling of guilt manifests itself like a river in flood and you may torment yourself wondering if you are doing all you can and if it is time
In this emotional maelstrom, you are nevertheless called upon to be present and lucid in order to accompany your animal friend.
I WOULD THEREFORE LIKE TO GIVE YOU THREE MAIN POINTS OF REFERENCE, HOPEFULLY THEY WILL HELP YOU IF AND WHEN YOU FIND YOURSELF GOING THROUGH THIS EXPERIENCE.
At the vet’s:
- Get a step-by-step explanation of exactly how the whole process takes place;
- Ask him: “Is it possible to do this at home?” (clearly from the point of view of familiar surroundings and serenity it is always the emotionally best choice for the animal);
- Get an explanation of how burial or cremation (collective and individual) takes place;
- Get an explanation of how it works with documents (microchip, death certificate);
- Clear to yourself: Do I want to be present? (here I will not go into how crucial our presence is for the passage because I will discuss this in a dedicated article).
- If it will be performed in the veterinary clinic, choose a time with little activity (either very early or before closing time.) This will avoid noise and distractions and ensure a calm situation for our animal;
- Get an explanation of the execution process again;
- There must be no interruption: time stops at this moment;
- Have the vet explain the physical reactions to be prepared (bladder, bowel, muscle movements).
- Ask your vet for some time alone with your friend;
- Handle the body with respect and ensure that your predispositions are respected (cremation, urn).
KNOWING BEFOREHAND HOW THE WHOLE PROCESS ACTUALLY UNFOLDS CAN BE OF GREAT SUPPORT IF YOU HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS PAINFUL EXPERIENCE.
Love you give, love you receive.